Monday, 7 February 2011

Half time hell?

Reguardless of barely understanding the rules, the Super Bowl last night was fantastic.

However.... can the same be said about the half time acts?

The Black Eyed Peas, being quite possibly the biggest band in the world and having put so much dedication into their work, shocked me last night. Don't get me wrong, I like the BEP, their music is so up beat and exciting, and they make brilliant... recording artists.

To put it bluntly, their performance was almost tragic. The set was beautiful! However, not to sound rude here, I cant help but think the set was an attempted distraction. I would apsoloutly love to see them sing live, but live without any of the voice edits and sound effects. I think if we take away what makes them good recording artists we would be left with a muttering-and-out-of-tune-Will.I.Am-with-added-extra-shouting-Fergie. They were completely out of tune and out of time, infact it looked like they had stumbled out of bed onto the set and had Fergie shouting every other word to try wake them up.

I believe that the only honest act there (and not meaning to sound bias, due to my last blog) was Slash. Ecspecially after Usher came/flew onto the stage. Once again, I like Usher, though he didn't seem to really do much. He simply danced to his own song, maybe singing a word or two for an 'epic effect' Sorry usher, but I dont think people want to pay good money just to see you dancing, Fergie did enough of that.

All in all, im sure the performance will be rememberd for years to come, and hopefully Fergie, they'll fix your microphone.

3 comments:

  1. The beginning of last nights performance was plagued with technical cockups (SOMEONE TURN ON Fergies microphone!). I think a lot of her shouting/screaming/wailing was due to her in-ear monitor not working, I noticed her adjusting it a few times. But remember that in a domed stadium like that, playing to a crowd around you at 360 degrees, its very difficult to sound 'in tune', on stage, and for the people who were there, apparently the sound was great, however, once its been put through the PA, into some mics, compressed, send over here via some satelites in space, it sound will warp a bit (music geek bit over!) And I did notice them drop out of time a couple of times, but whether thats just due to the fact they were playing and extended medley set with numerous time changes, or just the fact the occasion got to them, I dont know.

    And of course the set was an attempted distraction, its a lot better than looking at an empty football field at half time, and the price of Super Bowl tickets mean that yeah, the fans should be entertained, and the set did just that, I was pumped up for the second half thousands of miles away!

    Black Eyed Peas - good set, exactly what is required of a SuperBowl half time show, minus a few glitches. All the people dancing on the field with the UV costumes on? Awesome idea, throw back to the 'I Gotta Feeling' video, and its what they do best. I was impressed.

    Slash - very very VERY good call, he's idolised all over the world, and even though I knew he was going to play a tune I still dropped my chicken wings, fist pumped and went HELL YEAH. Cause its Slash, and its more about him than the guitar playing.

    Usher - I didnt know Usher and the Black Eyed Peas can fly?! I WANNA FLY. Not sure why he was there really, he sang 5 words, but you've gotta admit, the choreography for his dancing was top notch.

    Sorry for the essay Nignog!

    Stu x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, notice I DIDNT mention auto-tune once. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, you destroyed them! Haha
    Enjoyed you reading this to me!
    Great writing by the way :) Very easy and enjoyable to read

    ReplyDelete